3.31.2009

me + crepes = happy ending


I saw him even now going the way of all flesh, that is to say towards the kitchen. -- John Webster


Crepes for dinner after all. Crepes with strawberries, crepes with ham, crepes with chocolate and powdered sugar... how can something so simple be so blissful?




And even though I'm all too aware of this, I still have to say:


Crepes for me will always mean Paris in the rain, on Palm Sunday, listening to the other tourists outside of Notre Dame, staring wide-eyed at my friends Sarah and Maria, because Nutella has never been so good. Huddling by some kind of warm air vent, eating our chocolate crepes.


Or, after a long day's walk, the street crepe that took both hands to hold, and still dripped hot fillings down my arm. The ham + cheese + egg crepe eaten in the fading light by the Eiffel Tower, the crepe's savory steam warding off the chill in the air...




Last night's recipe: it's not the same thing as Paris, of course, but still makes a darn good crepe:

Combine:

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter.

Stir until smooth. Pour about 3 tablespoons batter into a hot 6-inch skillet, and tilt to cover skillet with batter. Bake 1 to 2 minutes until crepe browns on the bottom. Flip and bake one more minute. Eat hot with strawberries, or chocolate, or ham and cheese, or just plain... I lost count of how many this made, but the recipe says it was 16 6-inch crepes. We ate them too fast to keep track.

This is perfect, perfect for spring. I always forget how much I love cooking--why is that? I get wrapped up in the book world, but every time I dive into cooking something, I just get happy. These crepes were eaten with grins...

1 comment:

  1. I gained a pound reading your blog today....thanks a lot!

    Seriously though, great blog!

    ReplyDelete